The examination of the uterus and the fallopian tube is done through a special x-ray known as HSG or Hysterosalpingogram. The entire HSG test procedure is completed within 45 minutes or lesser. If you are undergoing issues related to getting pregnant, then you might be suggested an HSG test by the doctor. Through this x-ray, your health care provider shall be able to get a clear insight into what is causing the issue.
HSG Test: Knowing it in Details
An HSG test evaluates and monitors the fallopian tubes and the uterus of the women for all types of potential blockages that might be hindering conception. While HSG is aimed at detecting the factors causing infertility in women, the test flushes out every possible blockage that might be there in the fallopian tubes to improve fertility, according to research.
You Can Expect This When You Are Visiting the Clinic for Your HSG Test
- An HSG treatment is performed in a radiology lab and can take anything between 10-45 minutes, approx.
- Your doctor will put a speculum inside your vagina before inserting a narrow plastic tube in the cervix, which would go up to the uterus and fallopian tubes, respectively. You would be injected with a special dye through the narrow plastic tube. This dye would fill both your fallopian tubes and uterus before spilling out from every fallopian tube.
- After this, you would have to undergo an x-ray through which your doctor can understand and assess both your fallopian tubes and uterus.
Preparing for HSC and How?
There are a few things to keep in mind before you proceed with the HSG test, and here is a list of all the simple preparation tips to make the experience easy and comfortable for you.
- Always Choose a Fertility Specialist for the Test
You can get the HSG treatment done at a regular gynaecological’s office or even at a radiology lab, but if you wish to understand the root causes of your infertility, then it pays to schedule an appointment with the IVF doctors in Hyderabad.
- Check if the HSG Test is Covered by Your Insurance
Before you wonder how much HSG tests cost in India, you might want to check if your insurance company provides coverage for the standard fertility treatments or not.
- Take Note of Any Form of Allergies that You Might Be Having
It is rare to develop allergic reactions from the contrast dye that is given to you, but the possibilities aren’t zero. Inform your doctor if you have undergone any allergic reaction before to Novocaine, Betadine, or Iodine. In these cases, the healthcare provider uses alternate contrast materials.
- Carry an Anti-Inflammatory Pain Medication on the Day of the Procedure
Be ready to expect moderate to heavy cramping because of catheter insertion. Hence, a painkiller like Motrin or Advil can reduce the discomfort.
- Seek Permission Regarding Antibiotics
Based on the diagnosis, you might be given a course of antibiotics before the HST test starts to help you avoid infections.
- Carry a Sanitary Napkin with You
Small amounts of spotting are normal after the HSG test, and you can also witness contrast dye leakage. You can protect your clothing by wearing a pad for the rest of the day.
- Slip into Comfortable Outfits
You might undergo tenderness right after the test, so you should wear non-restrictive and soft clothing.
- Arrange for a Ride Back Home after the Procedure
Most patients can drive back home on themselves, but if you are feeling sick, you might want to book a cab back home.
The recovery time after the HSG or ICSI treatment is fast and allows you to return to your normal routine quickly. HSG is a worthwhile test that can rule out potential issues. If you are facing difficulties in conceiving, you must talk to IVF doctors in Hyderabad at the Apollo Infertility Hospital immediately. The hospital is a trusted choice when it comes to HSG tests because of its reasonable cost and top-renowned doctors and technologists.